Congratulations! During the first six weeks of life your baby will be learning the difference between day and night – infants sleep 16 to 17 hours a day. Breast milk is the ideal food for infants – if you need help or support, please call our office. Most newborns need to eat every two to three hours. Newborns usually have 6 to 8 wet diapers every 24 hours. Make sure you get plenty of support from friends, family or community groups.
By the end of the first month most infants will achieve these milestones:
- Brings hands up to eyes and mouth
- Focuses 8 to 12 inches away
- Prefers black and white or high contrast patterns
- Prefers human faces to patterns
- Hearing has fully matured
- Recognizes some sounds